Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mom-preneur - A. Ashley Designs! Enter to win a $25 gift certificate!!

My Mom-preneur series features local Moms who are not only doing a fabulous job of raising their children but are small business owners too! I have been very lucky to have started a business that I LOVE through great clientele and word of mouth advertising. What I want to to do is help other Mothers get their names out there too! Supporting local businesses, especially Mom-owned businesses, is something I am passionate about! So please email me if you are interested in a featured spot on my blog.

I had the pleasure of meeting Amy Ashley this summer and she is so sweet and fun to talk to! She was carrying her son Finn, in a beautiful mai tai carrier, and as a faithful baby wearer myself, I immediately asked about it. As it turns out, she makes them herself along wtih many other handmade designs!



Amy with her son Finn, in a mommy tai carrier, one of her designs. Babies up to 35 pounds can be carried comfortably on front, back or hip with these. Amy even makes mini tai's so your child can carry their baby dolls in them...how cute is that! (For some reason I can't figure out, Blogger is messing with the color in this photo...at least on my monitor. Sorry! Amy, I will send you a print of this one...with color correct)

Lets learn a little more about A. Ashley Designs!!

An interview with Amy:

How did you come up with the name of your business: I wanted something that was versatile and would allow for me to create for babies, children and adults.

How long have you been doing this? I actually started A. Ashley Designs the summer of 2006 and then took a break from the business after my daughter Sawyer was adopted and then the surprise pregnancy of my son Finnegan (would you believe that they are 9 months apart?!).


Please explain a little bit about your product/business and how you developed the concept behind it:

I began knitting 5 years ago after my oldest daughter Madeline was born. I needed a hobby besides the typical mom duties and found knitting to be both relaxing and productive at the same time. I started out making scarves as gifts for family and friends and soon moved on to creating my own designs for felted purses. From there came cowls, wool diaper soakers and hats! I am completely self taught and have learned a lot through trial and error. When Finn was born I noticed that the baby styles and my taste had changed a lot since Madeline was a baby and my taste was more expensive than my pocketbook could allow. So, I decided to make things that I had always wanted for my kids, but couldn’t afford – cute burp rags, trendy dresses, nursing covers, mei tais, leg warmers and plush blankets and quilts. I wanted all of my things to be handcrafted with a unique flair, trendy and hip but also affordable to the mom on a budget.


What makes your product/business so unique?

A. Ashley Designs is unique in that my products vary in style for a variety of ages. I try to use popular and trendy fabrics and also am not afraid to think out of the box when searching for the right textile for a project.

Do you have a store front/website/etsy?


www.a-ashleydesigns.com (currently under construction)
www.aashleydesigns.etsy.com (new listings updated often)

If you have something in mind that you don’t see listed, feel free to email me for a custom order! My email is: A.ashleydesigns@gmail.com

What is the hardest part or have been some of your struggles starting your own business?

One of the biggest struggles in starting my own business is finding the right balance between work and family. I started A. Ashley Designs to allow myself an outlet for creativity as well as to help create extra income for our growing family. I have 3 children under the age of 5 and teach preschool part time, so finding time to sew and knit can be a challenge and has really helped me learn to prioritize what is most important – God first, family second and then work.


How do you balance your business and your family? My husband has always been supportive of my endeavors and wants me to be the best that I can be. He has been an encouragement throughout the process and gave me the extra shove to know that it was okay to try!

Is there anything we can look forward to seeing in your business in the future?
I am hoping to eventually get some of my designs in to some local boutiques and would love to share my Mommy Tais with local baby wearing groups and La Leche groups as well.

The reason I love what I do is .... that God has allowed me to find a gift that He gave me that I never knew I had before.

Most days I just need some…. Coffee with 2 sweetners and lots of cream!
Don't count on me to .... have my laundry folded and put away when you come to my house.
Saturday mornings you will find me .... wearing my jammies and drinking coffee.

If I am typically craving something it is .... Double Stuff Oreos.

My favorite local hang out is/are…(restaurant, other local happenings)….
The Wild - children’s bookstore (downtown Noblesville)
Noble Coffee and Tea Company
Always in Stitches – quilting and yarn store in Noblesville
Perk Up – coffee shop in Broadripple on the Monon
Mass Avenue Knit Shop


Anything else you would like to add…business or personal?
Since A. Ashley Designs began, I have watched my daughter Madeline find her creative gift that God has given her and it has been so fun to see her create amazing things out of what the normal eye would see as junk. Maybe some day we’ll be in business together!

Now its time for you to enter the contest to win a $25 gift certificate to A. Ashley Designs....to purchase something beautifully handmade for your little one...adorable knit hats, baby carriers, nursing covers, etc!

First check out A. Ashley Designs website...her Etsy listing (above) and then leave your name and email address in the comments section right after this post! A winner will be drawn on January 1st 2009...

Good luck!!

9 comments:

strwberrryjoy said...

Maria-- mariastarr2001@hotmail.com

Lyndsey Lewis said...

can you win twice??? ;)
lyndsey_ep@yahoo.com

Heart and Hands said...

Christin--christin.nevins@gmail.com

I love your idea of promoting mom-owned businesses. Thanks!

Loree Alayne Photography said...

Loree - loreealayne@yahoo.com
Danille, We need to get together for coffee and photog talk soon =) Have a wonderful Christmas!!

Andrea Moberly said...

Andrea - knitsandknots@gmail.com

So neat :)

Jo Ellen Werking Weedman said...

Jo Ellen
jwweedman@hotmail.com

So cool Amy--I'm proud of you!

twotuxedos said...

Allyson-twotuxedos@yahoo.com

Curllyq said...

It's so cool that you do this for moms! If I ever get my act together and open a store, I'll let you know!
Sarah Dunn
curllyq@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

clair - clairgoodmanwhite@gmail.com